Special Educational Needs and Disability
Special Educational Needs at Fowlmere.
Our Special Educational Needs and Disability Co-ordinator(SENDCo) is Ms Jo Grazebrook.
You can contact her via email email@example.com or through the school office on 01763 208203.
For Local Offer information click here.
Here at Fowlmere we follow the fundamental principles of the SEN Code of Practice, which are:
A child with SEN should have their needs met
- The SEN of children will normally be met in mainstream schools or early education setting
- The views of the child should be sought and taken into account
- Parents have a vital role to play in supporting their child’s education
- Children with SEN should be offered full access to a broad, balanced and relevant education, including an appropriate curriculum for the foundation stage and the National Curriculum.
- He/she has a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of children of his/her age
- He/she has a disability which prevents or hinders him/her from making use of educational facilities available for children of his/her age
- He/she is under the age of 5 years and is, or would be if special educational provision were not made, likely to fall into the above when reaching 5 years of age, as emphasised in the 1983 Education Act
All class teachers are responsible for the SEN provision needed for children in their class. Early identification is essential and concerns may be raised by the class teacher with the parents, or by the parents with the class teacher. At some time in their school careers all children may have SEN, for example social and domestic problems, medical problems, undue pressure from home or school. All of these can lead to temporary or even permanent learning difficulties, which need to be identified at an early stage. Communication with all parties is essential at this early identification stage so that the most appropriate provision can be put in pace for all children.
If any parent or carer would like a paper copy of the information here, please contact the school office and it will be provided free of charge.
Advice and Support